Living off the grid is a real challenge, particularly for beginners. Maintaining budget flow and resource flow is very hard. After investing in purchasing the land, the next step is to build a house or cabin on it to live off the grid. But how much to build an off-grid cabin?
You can build cabins for around $30/square foot on average, which means a 1000 square foot off-grid cabin would cost you about $30000. However, keep in mind that the final cost will depend on your skills and requirements.
Read on to find out everything you need to know about building an off-grid cabin. You might also enjoy reading: Best Careers For Happy Off The Grid Living.
How Much Does it Cost to Build Off the Grid Cabin?
Building an off-grid cabin will be very economical as you will get rid of all the electricity and other bills once you manage living there. In general, it will cost almost $30 per square foot to build an off-grid cabin, which is not a big amount.
In other words, it will cost about $15000 to build an off-grid cabin, which is far less than building a normal house in the city.
How Much Does It Cost to Build a 1000 sq ft Cabin?
Generally, it takes about $30 per square foot to build an off-grid cabin, which means that you will need to invest almost $3000 to build a 1000 sq ft cabin for off-grid living.
How to Plan Building an Off-Grid Cabin?
Here are different steps that one should follow to build an off-the-grid cabin.
1- Budget Maintenance
The foremost thing that must not be ignored while building an off-grid cabin is your budget. You’ll plan any construction according to your savings. If you go under the pressure of debt, you’ll fail to handle living peacefully, even off the grid.
So, make sure that you’re planning according to your budget. Here are different expenses that you’ll have to manage while building an off-grid cabin.
- Purchasing the land for a cabin or house
- Preparation of the site for construction
- Managing off-grid necessities
- Logs to build a cabin
- Roof material
- Daily use of grid tools
- Interior preparation for living
These are not the only expenses. One can accommodate them accordingly. If you are looking for the best places for living off-grid in Oregon, I wrote a whole article that I encourage you to check out.
2- Selecting Land For Cabin
After you’re sure that you have enough assets to build an off-the-grid cabin, the next step is to choose a proper location for it. You should choose a location that is wide, sunny, and airy. Cities can never offer such a location.
Try to invest in a piece of land in the countryside for this purpose. I encourage you to make sure that the land you selected for your cabin has enough space to build a mini solar panel or wind power station for power generation. Moreover, select such a piece of land that is legal to avoid any issues in the future.
3- Select a Design
Though most of the off-grid cabins are built on the same limited designs, you can choose any creative design of your choice. Make a plan for the building and start working on it. If you’re facing any trouble in finalizing the design, you can get help from professional designers. They know how to invest the piece of land for good purposes.
One can select different methods to construct the off-grid cabin for himself or herself, but the overall material for all the cabins is essentially the same. Here is how to move on.
- Select logs for your cabin
- Hire a cabin builder and lay the foundation to start the construction
- First of all, raise the log walls
- Make sure that you have windows in your cabin to enjoy the nature
- After building the wall, make a log roof
- Finish by finalizing the floor as per the design.
4- Manage Power Source
Living off the grid means living without electricity. It means that you’ll have to manage any alternative power source for electricity.
You can choose any of the following alternatives for electricity.
- Solar Power Sources: Solar panels are the most frequently used power sources to handle off-grid power requirements effectively. Solar panels are the most efficient energy sources that can generate enough energy to run all your home equipment if they are located in a sunny place.
- Wind Power Sources: Another option to generate enough energy to run the equipment of the whole off-grid house is by windmills. Windmills run turbines that run the power generators. These generators supply power that can be used or stored.
- Propane-Based Power Sources: Propane-based power generators are another option to meet the power requirements for the off-grid home. Its setup is relatively cheap; however, you’ll have to invest in propane fuel to run the power generators.
Are Off-Grid Cabins Legal?
Living off the grid is a legal process in most states of the US. You can build an off-grid cabin to live on legally.
First, you buy a parcel of land in a secluded area outside the normal utility service zone. Second, you build your cabin or home with solar, wind power, waterwheel, and generator, and then settle in for a happy off-the-grid living.
You might also enjoy reading: 19 Worst States for Off-Grid Living (And Why!)
Is It Cheaper To Buy or Build a Cabin?
Building an off-the-grid cabin is relatively cheaper than buying a built one. You can save up to $10,000 by building a normal cabin as a built one will cost more than it, particularly if you already have the required skills and tools needed.
Living off the grid is not tough if one knows how to handle all the circumstances. The foremost thing to do is to build an off-grid cabin.
You can easily build an off-grid cabin if you have the required skills and proper preparation.