The era we are living in can be hectic sometimes. There is always so much going on. We can even be irritated by our utmost necessities like smartphones, the internet, television, etc. It would be very nice if we could just leave everything behind and start living in the middle of nowhere.
But living off the grid is a personal decision and should never be taken lightly. There are a lot of things that should be considered before deciding to live off the grid.
The first thing that needs to be considered is always money. We need to make sure that we have a steady income stream because let’s face it; it’s not easy to live off the grid. Buying a new home, having different kinds of equipment, managing supplies, and a lot of other things certainly need a lot of money.
The next thing to consider is our personality. Choosing to live off the grid becomes easy if it suits your lifestyle and skill set. There are a lot of careers that can be pursued while living off the grid. Let’s explore the best careers for living off the grid.
Can You Live Off-Grid and Work?
You can live off-grid and work since. But before going off-grid, ensure in the proper position financially.
- Reduce your expense – Cut down to unnecessary costs.
- Pay off all your debts – Ensure you pay your debts, including loans, mortgages, credit cards, or student debt loans.
- Find ways to increase your income, including garage sales or a second job.
Once you are financially secure, you can start looking for a job that best suits your off-the-grid lifestyle.
Can You Live Off The Grid And Still Work?
You can live off the grid and still work. During the still ongoing pandemic, a lot of opportunities were created to work remotely, without having to come to the office. Not only just small companies but some of the largest companies of the world also allow working remotely. So, it is dependent on you that how you want to proceed about living off the grid and still working.
There are a lot of opportunities that allow you to work while living off the grid. You can always choose what is best for you. If you do not have a specific skill set, you can try sales arbitrage that allows you to be the middle man between clients and service providers.
Bid for good projects and once you have it, contact the right services providers to do the job. But if you have some skills then it becomes easy and natural to live off the grid and still work.
What Jobs Allow You To Live Off The Grid?
Once we talk about the jobs that allow you to live off the grid, the first thing that comes into mind is self-employment. Now, self-employment is different for every person like if you are a business owner and have the capability of automating your business, then living off the grid will not be a problem.
Having a specific skill set and providing your services online is the best in the field of self-employment. It gives you the freedom of when and where. You can easily work in your domain according to your schedule. If you are not interested in the self-employment field, there are several other jobs that you can try. A few of them are listed below:
- Plumber or electrician both jobs come in handy for your home and are excellent careers while living off the grid. I recommend specializing in off-grid water systems and supporting your neighbors’ electricity and plumbing problems. For example, you can even specialize in helping other fellows get off the grid by installing alternative electric and nontraditional plumbing systems.
- Virtual assistant (VA). As a virtual assistant, you can offer your services online from the comfort of your home. You can work as a bookkeeper, customer service, designer, and even project management and video editing. You make your own schedule.
- Teach English online – Nowadays, many people make money teaching English online. You don’t need extensive experience teaching, and you need to be patient working with kids. Here are a few websites to find teaching English jobs online.
- Sell stock photographs. One of the benefits of living off the grid is the chance to experience and all its beauty. You can use your smartphones to capture nature. I would recommend you take a picture of what people are looking for.
- Gardener. As a gardener, you can offer your services as a hedge trimmer, lawnmower, and weed puller. The main disadvantage is most gardening work can be seasonal, but you can also provide snow removal services during wintertime if possible.
- Other career option for off the grid living:
- Construction Worker
- Farm Worker
- Sales Manager
- Architectural Manager
- Tourist Guide
- Mountain Guide
- Tree Planter
- Hunting Guide
While choosing a job that allows living off the grid, there are a few things that you should consider.
- Make sure you have a job before going to live off the grid so that you have a steady income stream.
- Always go for the job that best fits your personality because living off the grid makes it difficult to change your job time again and again.
- Put a lot of thinking in the process that comes before actually living off the grid. You can’t just move again and again. So, it’s better to have a backup plan in case something doesn’t work out.
How Can You Make Money Living Off The Grid?
While living off the grid, making money is one of the utmost necessities that get you through tough times. There are a lot of ways that you can adapt to earn money while living off the grid. If you have some land on your name, make sure to rent it out because you can have some money on your doorstep every month without having to do a lot of work.
We are living in the era of technology. So, having a skill set for online earning is becoming a necessity now a day. If you have any kind of skill set that can help you in online earning, you have to try it. Since the previous year, remote work is becoming a trend and it has opened a lot of opportunities for remote work.
So, you need to search for your interests and learn different skills accordingly. If you have an interest in the computer field, there are a lot of skills that you can learn and earn good money like graphics designing, web designing, web development, app development, developing soft wares, and digital marketer.
There are also a lot of opportunities and skills that you can learn other than coding. In the end, living off the grid and making good money depends on your interests. Your interests define your personality and learning skills by which you can earn.
Working 9 to 5 with a lot of other things going on can make you quite irritated and in this kind of scenario, living off the grid seems convincing and peaceful. If you have what it takes to survive this kind of lifestyle then it is peaceful and good for your mental health.
But jumping too early to conclusions and rushing to live off the grid can be hectic, time taking, bad for your overall mentality. So, whenever you decide to live off the grid, hold this thought and give it some time, and progress accordingly.
Search for the best career options, have a steady income stream, workout the extras, develop your managing skills, and only then go for it. Safety matters the most so, choosing the place to live off the grid should not be taken lightly.