This post contains affiliate links.
Most us would agree that raising chickens is a fun and rewarding experience, but it can also be a lot of work. I found that one of the most important parts of raising chickens is letting them out of their coop every morning and locking them safely inside at night. However, this can be time-consuming, especially if you have a large flock. That’s where automatic chicken coop doors come in, designed to open and close on a schedule, so you don’t have to do it manually.
But are automatic chicken coop doors worth it? Automatic chicken coop doors are worth it because they are an excellent way to keep your chickens safe and protect them from predators. In addition, automatic chicken coop doors can save time and energy by letting your chickens out in the morning and locking them up at night.
Read on to explore more about automatic chicken coop doors, what automatic chicken coop doors are, how they work, and the pros and cons of investing in them. Hatching Chicks? Check out the top 7 Best Egg Incubators to Consider!
What are Automatic Chicken Coop Doors?
Automatic chicken coop doors are designed to be run with a timer, sensor, or remote control. They are designed to open and close the coop door automatically and offer better protection and security for chickens than traditional coop doors. A motor-powered door will automatically open and close the chicken “pop” door. It does so at set times using a timer or measuring light conditions with a sensor.
Automatic chicken coop doors typically operate on batteries and some are solar powered, which means you don’t need to worry about wiring them into your electricity. The good news is that you can program your automatic chicken coop door to open and close by setting a timer.
How do Automatic Chicken Coop Doors Work?
Automatic chicken coop doors come with a small motor that opens and closes the door when triggered, which can be a timer or a light sensor. The motor pulls the door up to let your chickens out and pulls the door down to close them in. In other words, the automatic doors are connected to pulleys and open or close the coop door with the help of a motor. These doors operate quickly and keep the flock safe from predators.
Most automatic chicken coop doors work on a timer or sensor that sense the light level, while others come with a remote control. A light sensor can also trigger the door by measuring the light outside, closing the door at night, and opening the door in the morning.
Pros and Cons of Automatic Chicken Coop Doors
Pros of Automatic Chicken Coop Doors:
- Time-saving: The most obvious benefit of automatic chicken coop doors is the amount of time they can save you. You don’t have to spend time manually opening and closing the door, particularly during harsh weather conditions.
- Security: By having an automatic coop door, you can be assured that your chickens are safely locked in at night, which can help protect them from predators, or from escaping from their coop.
- Convenience: Automatic chicken coop doors can be set to open and close at set times, so you don’t have to be physically present to manually close and open the coop. This will be very helpful when you know that you’ll be absent for a day or two.
Cons of Automatic Chicken Coop Doors:
- Initial expense: A Chicken door can be expensive to purchase, and some may not come with all the features or build quality that you are expecting for your chicken coops.
- Maintenance: Regular maintenance is required for automatic chicken coop doors, especially during dust accumulation, or during bird feather molting seasons such as in winters.
- Malfunction: Despite regular maintenance, some automatic chicken coop doors may still malfunction and fail, potentially leaving your chicken exposed to dangerous predators.
Are Automatic Chicken Coop Doors Worth It?
Automatic chicken coop doors are a worthwhile and valuable investment for any chicken farmer. Not only are they convenient, but they also offer better protection against predators, are durable, and offer peace of mind. With advancements in technology, they have become more affordable and accessible, making them the best choice for any backyard chicken farmer.
Automatic chicken coop doors are life saver and totally worth it, and here are some reasons why:
- Convenience: With automatic chicken coop doors, you don’t have to worry about being present to lock the coop door. The door opens and closes automatically.
- Better security from predators: Automatic doors close at a specific time when the sun goes down, which ensures that your flock is safe from predators.
- Durability: Good-quality automatic chicken coop doors are made from sturdy materials, ensuring the doors will last for years.
- Cost-effective: Automatic chicken coop doors are a one-time investment, and you will not have to incur additional costs.
- Peace of Mind: Automatic chicken coop doors ensure you have peace of mind knowing that your chickens are safe and secure.
What to read next:
- What is The Best Room Temperature for an Incubator? (Must know!)
- 13 Types of Goats You Can Find in Texas And What Makes Them Unique.
- 7 Tips and Tricks on How to Increase Milk Production in Goats.
- Best 5 Milking Machines for Nigerian Dwarf Goats.
Automatic chicken coop doors can definitely make your life easier if you’re spending a lot of time on opening and closing the chicken coop door.
Like anything in life, automatic chicken coop doors come with their own set of pros and cons; when choosing an automatic chicken coop door, I encourage you to consider safety measures and your chicken’s hygiene and well-being.