As inspiring and attractive as living off the grid is, it can sometimes be dangerous to live off the grid without proper preparation.
You are living in the middle of nowhere. There is no one around that you can count on for a helping hand. So, it is always a good idea to be prepared and ready in case something tough is lurking behind the shadows. Here are the top 10 must-have off grid tools:
- Multi-purpose Axe
- Set of pliers
- All-purpose folding knife
- Screw Driver Set
- Adjustable ladder
- Tool Box
- Work Gloves
- Head Lamp
We will discuss different tools that are made just to make sure that you feel safe and secure. That is the limit of human preparation. You can’t do something to avoid what nature has planned for you. But you can always try.
10 Essential Off-Grid Tools
When we talk about how many tools we should have to be safe and secure while living off the grid, there is no specific number. You can have as many tools as you want and still never be too safe. But let’s talk about the most important ones.
- Multi-purpose Axe: An ax should have many purposes. You can chop wood with an ax. That is the simplest task for an ax. But you can also use it to chisel through the ice, or dress an animal. When deciding about which tools to keep, always go for the multi-purpose one.
- Set of pliers: Having a set of pliers is always necessary, even living normally. So, once you start living on the grid, always keep a set of different kinds of pliers so that they can be used in different kinds of work.
- All-purpose folding knife: When you are living off the grid, you should have a knife on your belt at all times. And what can be better than having an all-purpose knife? It can have many uses other than just cutting through some rope.
- Screw Driver Set: A screwdriver is something that is needed in nearly every household work like installing different hardware, electric work, or physical maintenance. Having a screwdriver can save you all kinds of trouble. So, this should be an utmost necessity.
- Adjustable ladder: Ladders are always essential for elevated jobs. You can’t just have a ladder available while living off the grid. So, you need to make sure that you have a ladder that too, adjustable. You also need to make sure that it is lightweight so that it is easy to carry around.
- Wheelbarrow: Having a wheelbarrow can help shift goods from one place to another like carrying vegetables from fields to your house. Make sure to take care of the wheelbarrow so that it can last longer.
- Tool Box: Having so many accessories and tools can be hard to manage. So, you need to have a toolbox so that all the tools can be in one place and you do not have to worry about finding them when falling into a crisis.
- Work Gloves: When you are living off the grid, most of the work is done by hand. So, you need to keep them safe. Find a pair of gloves that you are comfortable with and buy a few. They ensure you’re safe while working on electrical appliances.
- Head Lamp: You don’t have street lights at night while living off the grid. So, you must have a headlamp so that it can be really easy to work at night. This must be an utmost necessity.
- Shovels: Shovels are necessary while living off the grid. A lot of outdoor work while living off the grid needs to be done with shovels. So, make sure to have it in your possession.
What Tools Do You Need To Live Off The Grid?
As I have mentioned earlier, you can have as many tools as you want and still not be too safe. So, it is difficult to mention all the essential tools. For a better understanding of the concept of which tools are the most essential ones, a few categories are given below. They can help you in selecting which tools you should have and which tools you must have. So, let’s dig in and see different categories.
- Power tools
- Safety tools
- Hand tools
- Emergency tools
- High-End tools
High-end tools include all the tools that you should have according to your home equipment like if you have installed solar panels to power up your house then you should also have all the necessary tools for its maintenance and security.
Where Are Off-Grid Tools Made?
There is not a specific region or country where all these tools are made. It all depends upon which kind of tool you are buying if a country has agriculture as its strong suit then it must produce good and efficient tools for agriculture.
Whenever you buy a tool, make sure to do some research so that you can the best equipment available in the market. We all know that Japan is advanced in developing some amazing electric appliances so, all the related tools should be of Japan’s production.
All in all, it will take some time to do research but it can give certainty that you are buying the right tools.
What Do You Need To Take Camping Off The Grid?
As exciting as it sounds to take a camping trip off the grid so that you can have a few days off of your hectic routine, it needs as much consideration to decide what to take with you while going.
You are going to live for a few days and enjoy yourself in the middle of nowhere. So, you need to take care of all your needs. Following is the list of the utmost necessities that you should take with you:
- A high-quality tent
- First aid kit
- An appropriate sleeping bag
- An appropriate size bag pack
- A water purifier
- A reasonable light source
- Food supplies or an alternative
- Safety equipment
There are a lot of things that you can take with you but the most important ones are mentioned here. Depending on the kind of trip you will have, you can also take some extras with you like speakers or a projector if you are going with your friends.
Overall, these are must-have off grid tools for a safe and pleasant off-the-grid lifestyle. Remember these tools might be different from one person to other.
Before buying a new tool ensure you really need it, and I know sometimes we buy in case of an emergency which is a wise thing to do.